Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A New Approach - Gestalt Principles

Gestalt Principles have taught me to view images in a way I hadn't entertained before. I've never understood why one image was more visually pleasing than another or for what specific reasons I enjoyed or disliked a particular piece of art. Yet the Gestalt Principles introduce specific points of focus on the qualities and characteristics of art, which define and liven the objects. Applying this critical view to images and art forms gives me a  deeper appreciation for the details and helps make art forms more distinctive from one another.
This image was captured at a photo shoot I did a few months ago. I don't want to seem totally narcissistic by using a personal photo for this assignment but this was a direct example of how I'm learning to view things with a new critical outlook using the principles at hand. 

The first principle that stands out to me is the Law of Closure. I automatically recognize the subjects of this photo as being legs. Naturally, I assume outside of the camera's frame a body is connected to the legs although the image cuts me off a little above the hip, leaving my form incomplete. My mind is at ease because the framing my photographer chose to use cuts me off just north of an intersection point of the body, no paraplegic here thankfully! (knock on wood!) So, I can comfortably deduce what lies beyond the picture's edges even though it's not spelled out for me. 
Secondly, the Law of Continuity is ever present in this photo. The lighting helps to make both of the legs distinct from one another, however, the line of the legs is what leads the eyes through the picture. My supportive leg draws a strong, vertical line because it provides the stability for the rest of the image. It gives a tall, firm energy which contrasts with the line of my right leg. The slight curve at my knee draws a diagonal line and gives a feeling of movement to the subject. Because a definitive bottom to the subject is visible (my stiletto touching the floor), my eyesight is naturally drawn from the bottom to the top of the image in an upward movement.
The Law of Proximity is obvious in that the legs are grouped together as a pair due to obvious familiarity with the human anatomy so they're associated as being together. 
The Law of Similarity applies to the dress I'm wearing. There are several thousand individual beads on the dress, some of which are highlighted specifically due to the lighting, yet they all blend together to create one complete gown. The eye naturally groups them together rather than seeing the beads one by one. 
The Law of Proximity can be applied to the piece of jewelry on my left foot. A clear, elastic band is holding each of the groupings of beads together, however, the band isn't visible in most areas. Despite the absence of a continuous visual connection between the beads, viewers can safely assume the beads are together because of their close proximity.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. So you know, Gestalt isn't a being, it's a concept.

    ReplyDelete