Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pleasing Pics

I spent the afternoon scouring my photo library as well as shooting around my backyard to find pictures which include the influences of the rule of thirds, the diagonal rule and vectors. Here is what I came up with... 


This is a photo of a utility pole behind my apartment. The area of greatest interest is on the top right intersection of the hypothetical grid of the lower thirds principle. The diagonal line created by the wood of the pole draws the eye through the photo up to the more complicated area of the power lines. The graphic vectors which draw interest and propose a strong sense of direction are the power lines branching out in various directions.  


Happy Halloween! I figured at least one of my pictures should be festive. : ) The pumpkin is the greatest area of interest in this photo. It lies on both left-side intersections of the lower thirds grid and looks pretty shnazzy if I do say so myself. The lines of the brick wall supporting the pumpkin, which continue toward the background of the picture, satisfy the diagonal rule. This might be a stretch but I think the stem of the pumpkin serves the role of an index vector as it draws the eye down to the ribs of the pumpkin then to the face (or greatest area of interest).

This pretty young lady is my niece Shannon. We took this photo a few months ago but I really love it so I decided to include it in this assignment. Shannon is located on both right intersections of the rule of thirds in this frame. Her elbow serves as an index vector as it inadvertently points to  the left edge of the frame. Her arm exemplifies the diagonal rule because it allows viewers to follow a path from the tip of her elbow, up to her hand then to her face.

 Here are some more pictures, just because...







No comments:

Post a Comment